If you are a personal licence holder, then you know how important it is to keep your licence safe and secure. Unfortunately, sometimes personal licences can be lost or stolen. If this happens to you, here is what you need to do for your new personal licence application.

If your personal licence is lost or stolen, the first thing you need to do is report it to the police. Make sure you have as much information about your licence as possible, including the serial number and any other identifying information. Once you have reported it to the police, they will start investigating.

In the meantime, you can apply for a new personal licence. You will need to provide some basic information about yourself, including your name and contact information.

Who needs a personal licence?

If you want to sell alcohol and start the supply of alcohol on any premises – including pubs, off licences, restaurants, and hotels – you will need a personal licence or one of the premises licences. If you search gov.uk, you will notice that all the licensed premises must have a club premises certificate signed by a designated premises supervisor

Not everyone who makes a sale of alcohol has to hold a Personal Licence, as long as a Personal Licence Holder has authorised the sale. This does not apply to Qualifying Clubs or premises operating under a Temporary Event Notice (TEN).

You may decide to become a Personal Licence Holder if you want to apply for more than five TENs a year. You must normally apply for your Personal Licence or premises licence to the Council in whose district you live or to the designated premises supervisor (DPS).

How to renew your personal licence?

You must make an application to renew your licence in the 9 months (the renewal period) starting a year before your licence expires and ending 3 months before the expiry date.

However, if the local licensing authority or Board is satisfied that, for a reason relating to coronavirus, you have been unable to apply within the period mentioned above, the Board has the power to accept an application of personal licence holders up until the day before the expiry date of the licence.

It is recommended that you apply as early as possible to ensure your application can be processed in time and if you are seeking to apply late due to coronavirus.

What happens if you lose your personal licence?

If you lose your personal licence or any club premises certificates, you will need to apply for a replacement licence to continue the sale of alcohol. You can do this by contacting the licensing authority that issued your original licence and requesting a replacement.

You will need to provide some basic information about yourself, including your name and contact information. You may also be required to provide a photograph of yourself. There is usually a fee for replacing a lost or stolen personal licence.

Once you have applied for a replacement personal licence, you should hear back from the licensing authority within a few weeks. If your application is approved, you will be issued a new personal licence. Make sure to keep your new personal licence safe and secure to avoid losing it again!


In the unfortunate event that your personal licence is lost or stolen, knowing what to do can help minimize any potential headaches. Make sure you report it to the police and have all of the identifying information ready.

We hope you never have to go through this process, but if you do, know that we are here to help with professional personal licence training Click below to learn more about replacing a lost or stolen personal licence.